Sunday, August 14, 2011

Psalm 5


The Question

1. O God, do you truly listen when I speak to you?
Do you hear the sounds of my distress?

2. Listen to this cry, O sovereign of my life.
It is to you alone I direct my prayer.

3. In the morning, at first-light,
I rise to make my plea to you.
Turn towards me, I pray, as I turn towards you.

4. For this I know,
you do not delight in evil or its schemes,
in you nothing but the good can find a home.

5. You despise the schemers and the cheats, O God.
The proud, inflated ones do not stand a prayer.

6. The liars and destroyers of the truth you hate,
you must end their constant thirst for blood.

7. But you send an invitation of unfailing love,
you invite us to your home,

8. And there at last we’ll surely come to you,
and bow in honor before the God of All.

9. So lead us, God,
our many enemies are strong to bar the way.
Clear out the path before our feet that leads to you.

10. Do not listen to their lies, their heart’s desire.
They mean only to destroy the sacred and the good.

11. Their mouths are hollow like an open grave,
they use their tongues in flattery that only leads to doom.

12. Bring these before your courts, O God, let justice judge.
Sentence all who side against the good.

13. But let all who put their trust in you, rejoice,
for you take us in and give us shelter in your love.
Your name becomes our shielding presence,
our sure defense,

14. In you we find our place secure,
and know your grace as home.

No comments: