Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Psalm 4



The Answering Voice

1. O defender of my cause, I call to you.
Release me from this vice-grip hold life has on me,
have compassion and answer me, I pray.

2. A voice responds, “O mortal ones,
how long will you defame what’s sacred and all that’s good, 
by loving what is worthless and seeking after lies?”

3. I now know this, that it is surely God who answers me.
It is God who astounds the merciful, the chosen ones, the wise.

4. So stand in awe and wonder before this God of yours,
put far from you every evil, every lie.
Commune with God deep within your hearts,
and then in silence wait and listen well
at night upon your beds.

5. Offer God in sacrifice whatever is required of you,
placing all your confidence in God’s care.

6. For there are many who only long for better times,
whose only prayer to God is to ask and ask for more.

7. But you have placed within my heart deep gratitude.
I know more joy than when wine and oil flow.
And when I lie down at night
I fall asleep in your deep peace,
for you keep me in the safe circle of your care.

No comments: